Psychotherapist, Narrative Practitioner & Group Counsellor.
Individual Therapy: HK$1,150 per 50mins
Couples Therapy: HK$1450 per 50mins
Languages: English. Availability: Wed 6-9pm: Fri 12-2pm: Sat 8-5pm
Do you want to break free from substance use, anxiety or other problematic coping methods?
I am a psychotherapist specialising in helping people separate from anxieties (specific and general), addictions (substance as well as processes such as sex or food), distressed eating and the effects of trauma. This also involves relationship issues, problematic thinking and behaviour patterns, body image and sex, shame and guilt. These problematic coping mechanisms are often tangled up with underlying pain and distress, which remains hidden from us, and I work with clients in a two-step process to resolve this.
As a psychotherapist, I use a variety of counselling modalities to help clients separate from their presenting problems to create relief and space in their lives (normally over the course of 12 sessions). For those who then wish to, I focus psychotherapeutically on the long-term causes of pain and distress using Narrative Therapy over a longer period of time.
I believe we have innate abilities to grow emotionally and self-heal, but our environments (our culture, family of origin, and societal narratives) recruit us into believing this is not the case: that we are not good enough, cannot cope or are in some other way ‘broken’. I see it as my role as a psychotherapist to create a safe and supportive environment where you can explore these issues, build awareness around them and make choices about how to move forward and live your life differently.
I practice from a Narrative position that you are the expert in your life, and by exploring who you are outside of the problem you are facing, we can identify the strengths, knowledge and values needed to work with the discomfort or pain you have been experiencing. I work integratively by drawing from a wide variety of methods to create a treatment in collaboration with you which is specific to you. My trauma work is informed by Narrative Therapy, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Compassion-Focused Therapy, Acceptance and Mindfulness.
As a Group Counsellor, I facilitate support groups for men wishing to separate from unhelpful sexual behaviours and to work through life transitions and other aspects of identity. To find out about joining one, please schedule a free 20-minute assessment by emailing: Chris.Dudgeon@amindset.hk.
Originally from Scotland, I have enjoyed a varied career, holding leadership positions in global professional service firms, an MBA (UK) and professional finance qualifications (UK and Australia). All of which bring depth and breadth to my psychotherapy work.
Professional registrations and memberships:
I am an internationally trained, qualified and registered Psychotherapist, Counsellor and Narrative Practitioner. I have the following professional memberships/registrations:
- Hong Kong – Registered with the Hong Kong Professional Counselling Association and associate member of the Psychotherapy Society of Hong Kong.
- Australia – Certified Practicing Counsellor registered with the Psychotherapy and Counselling Federation of Australia and the Australian Counselling Association.
- United Kingdom – Registered practicing member with the Addiction Professionals Registration Body & Network and member of the National Counselling Society.
Core Psychotherapy training
- Master of Counselling, Monash University, Australia
- Level 4 professional training in Narrative Therapy, Dulwich Centre, Australia
- Master of Narrative Therapy and Community Work, University of Melbourne, Australia (ongoing, complete 2024)
I have undertaken extensive specialist training delivered by the following institutions: Association for Psychological Therapies (UK), Beck Institute (USA), The Dulwich Centre (Australia), Gottman Institute (USA), Institute for Solutions-Focused Therapy (UK), Monash University (Australia), Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust (UK) and University of Melbourne (Australia).
This training has equipped me with specialist knowledge and the skill to work in a range of well-being issues:
- Anxieties – Obsessive-compulsive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, separation anxiety and social anxiety.
- Addictions – Alcohol and other substances, gambling, internet/gaming and sex/porn.
- Trauma – I have been trained to work in a trauma-informed way to support clients who have experienced physical, emotional or sexual abuse, neglect, household dysfunction and other adverse childhood experiences. I have also been trained to work directly with post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Distressed eating – Binge eating disorder, bulimia nervosa, anorexia nervosa as well as general emotional/distressed eating.
Whilst my primary therapeutic modality is Narrative Therapy, I have also been trained in Acceptance & Commitment Therapy, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Dialectal Behavioural Therapy, Trauma-Focused CBT, Motivational Interviewing and Solution-Focused Brief Therapy.
Before my psychotherapy training, I worked in professional services for 20 years. I am a CPA (Australia) and Chartered Management Accountant (UK) and have a Master of Business Administration from Henley Business School (University of Reading, UK).
Chris offers psychotherapy and counselling in English.
A free 20-minute intro consultation is available for new clients. Please email Chris.Dudgeon@AMindset.HK for more details.
Individual: HK$1,150 per 50 min session
Couples: HK$1,450 per 50 min session
Discounted packages of 4 are available via the link below.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact us here.
Packages must be used within 12 weeks of the first booking.